Wednesday, January 15

Have you ever read a book that you liked but don't like?

I started listening to the audiobooks series House Of Night by PC. Cast.

I saw it on a list of best Fantasy books and it looked interesting.

Okay firstly it's a new take on Vampires in the sense that it's a Vampire School etc and I liked the idea of reading a different view on the whole Vampire thing.

I like the storyline and the the way the story is unfolding and it is interesting being more about teenage life in that lifestyle.

One thing that bugs me is that the author seems to have for some reason decided to integrate Pagan rituals, beliefs and greetings/blessings into the storyline.  I don't know if I have mentioned before but I am Pagain in my beliefs and specifically the Wiccan aspect of it, so it is nice to read about celebrations such as Yule and Samhain in the books so far, and for people to be doing the wonderful greetings and blessings.
The confusing bit is that the author only mentions Pagan's once in the book to mention that Yule is a Pagan celebration that the church "borrowed" Christmas from but that is as far as it goes.
If you do not know more about the Pagan beliefs you would not know at all that all the details in the book are from Paganism and the author leaves you to believe that all of it is connected to the Vampires and the way that they live.  I guess writers are allowed to do that but it's just a little something that bugs me.

The main thing that makes me not enjoy the books as much as I would like to is that the main Character is absolutely and utterly full of herself.  She is one of those people who can do no wrong and even when she does do wrong it's justifiable and all pat her on the back (including herself) in the end.

There are alot of books in the series but I am only on the third one.  I am enjoying the storyline and that is what is making me continue reading but the main character is already making me cringe alot so not sure if I will push through... hopefully she becomes a bit more humble in the next few books:-)

1 comment:

Thoeria said...

I find that if I cannot relate to the main character or even *like* him/her then I very quickly lose interest in the book - no matter how interesting the storyline! Good luck plodding through the rest of the series!